Domestic Abuse Law

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Current statistics state that as many as one in four women will subjected to domestic abuse at some point in their lives. This refers not only to physical abuse it can also include psychological, emotional and sexual abuse. Abuse can either be a regular occurrence or only happen once. Sometimes just the threat of violence will constitute an abuse. Abuse is defined as harm inflicted upon a person with whom the abuser has a relationship with. This means that it is not just women who are victims of domestic abuse, men, children and older people can abused.

If you are a victim of any kind of abuse, or you know someone that it, is it vital that you tell someone. If you are the victim, you should confiding in a family member or friend fist, who will be able to offer you immediate support. If you know someone that is a victim, you should first discuss their problem with them and then depending on the extent of the abuse, seek further help. As a victim, it can often feel as if the situation you are in is deserved but this is not the case, there are laws to protect victims but if you do not speak out, you will not get the help you need.

To deal with domestic abuse you should try and work out a way for your abuser to stop harming you. Failing to achieve this may cause you to leave the home that you share with your abuser or try to get them to leave. You can also contact the police and take legal action against your abuser. You should make sure that you record all instances of abuse so that you have solid proof that abuse was taking place, such as notes and photographs.

If you fear for your immediate safety, you should contact the police immediately. If you need to leave your home and have nowhere to go, you can go to a women’s refuge. When you leave, you should make sure that you take all your important documents such as your passport and try to make sure you have some money to survive on.

For more long term solutions you may wish to take legal action against your abuser. You should get in contact with a solicitor who specialises in family law who will be able to give you the best advice. You can also apply for an injunction to keep your abuser away from you. There are two different types if injunction, a non-molestation order and an occupation order.

If you have been victim of violent domestic abuse then the police will be able to arrest your abuser. If it has been sustained over a long period of time then your abuser is likely to get a prison sentence. If it was the first time, they will be likely to get a fine and an order to cease abuse or risk further legal action.

I am a legal writer covering advice on topics of law including domestic abuse, for further text and similar works visit family law or contact a solicitor today.

For more legal advice and information, and for free legal resources I suggest you visit

Leave a Reply