India has revoked Article 370, which gives Kashmir autonomy and special status including being able to make laws. Learn the English to talk about this news story in this free English class.
The Indian Home Minister, Amit Shah, is expected to place his resolution abrogating Article 370, which confers special status on the state of Jammu and Kashmir, before the lower house of the Indian parliament later today.
Key words and phrases
removes (something’s) position or status
• The government strips corrupt politicians of their authority.
• After the drug test came back positive, the athlete was stripped of her medal.
in one fell swoop
all at once
• The surprise police raid caught all of the thieves in one fell swoop.
• I’d rather do all my cleaning in one fell swoop than space it out over the week.
serious, worrying and without hope
• The economic report came to a grim conclusion. A recession would come soon.
• Do you still want to go to the beach today? The weather looks so grim!
Which of these means ‘formally end a law, treaty or custom’?
For the answer, watch this on our website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-11/session-102
[Cover: Getty Images]
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com
Video Rating: / 5